United Airlines 93 by Shanksville
At 8:01 o'clock United
Airlines (UA) start the Boeing 757, flight 093, in Newark. A goal of the only moderately booked community flight with
air Canada was San Francisco. Sometime on the flight the crew was overwhelmed by 4
highjackers. By telephone calls the passengers knew that there were terrorist attacks on the World
Trade Center New York and on the Pentagon in Washington. Thus some passengers decided to attack the Highjacker and to win if possible the
force over the machine back. Todd Beamer, 32 years, businessman and one of the passengers
tells by telephone of a superior of the telefoncompany GTE (his family is not reach). After a prayer
is only listen: "all ready? " and then: "Let's roll".
From 10:01 o'clock the Voice recorder from the cockpit registers curses and cries on English and Arab, noises of a fight. Briefly after 10 o'clock falls then UA 93. The airplane sinks quickly, eye-witnesses sees it fluttering, to the left and right, tilts, then it mills a ten meter deep ditch into the fields by Shanksville. An interceptor, which caught up the machine in the meantime, had received the firing instruction according to Condoleezza Rice definitely from Bush. It had the jet already in the visor, when this suddenly sagged and fell.
Panoply of the Absurd (englisch)
of Cynthia Bowers, CBS News
Interview with Lisa Jefferson, a GTE Airfone Supervisor in Oak Brook, Illinois, who took United Flight 93 Passanger Todd Beamer's Call.
Jefferson: When i took the call over, there was a soft-spoken, calm gentleman on the other end. He told me that there were three people that had taken over the flight. At that point, I ask him his name. He told me, "Todd Beamer". He was from Cranbury, New Jersey.
Bowers: Did you make a conscious decision not tell Todd about the World Trade Center?
Jefferson: Because I wanted him to have hope. I wanted him to think that he still had a chance. I didn't want him to feel like it was just totally hopeless and he definitely didn't have a choice and he knew he was going to die. I didn't want him to have that feeling.
Bowers: When he wanted to pray, was your sense then that...that he knew that he was going to die?
Yes, I did. I felt that he knew at that time because he had said, "Oh,
Jesus, help us." And he said, "Lisa, would you recite the Lord's
Prayer with me?"
...He knew at that time that there wasn't much left for him to do.
Bowers: What do you think that this country needs to know about the men and women who were on board Flight 93?
Jefferson: They're all heroes in my eyes. They really are. They all pitched together and they did what they thought was the best thing to do at that time. And I feel that Todd played a great role in that because when he told the guys, "Are you ready?", I assume that they were waiting on his cue. Then they responded to him, and he said, "Okay, let's roll."
Source: A full-length DVD CBS News Coverage.
For a large view (2100 x 1251 Pix = 250 Kb) click on the photo!
More "Let's roll":
Partisan, September 19, 2001:
Todd Beamer was still on the phone with Lisa Jefferson. He asked her to pray with him and together they recited the 23rd Psalm. Beamer asked Jefferson to phone his wife, pregnant with their third child. He told Jefferson that he and others were going to 'jump on' the hijacker with the bomb, who was guarding the passengers in the back. He mentioned Jeremy Glick by name. Then, Beamer dropped the phone. Jefferson distinctly heard Beamer say, 'Let’s Roll', sounds of scuffling and screams, and then, silence."
Or Newsweek, Sept.22, 2001:
"At around the same time, Todd Beamer is telling the operator that the men plan 'to jump' the hijacker in the back, claiming to have a bomb. 'We’re going to do something,' Beamer tells operator Lisa Jefferson. 'I know I’m not going to get out of this.' He asks Jefferson to recite the Lord’s Prayer with him. The last words Jefferson hears are 'Are you ready guys? Let’s roll.'"
Der Pittsburgh-Channel on September 16. 2001
"After the prayer was finished and the promise was made to call his wife, Todd Beamer dropped the phone, leaving the line open. It was then that the operator heard Beamer's words: 'Let's roll.'"
But here Lisa Jefferson said an other version:
post-gazette" 22.9.01: "are
you ready? ok":
"She heard Beamer saying, 'God help me. Jesus help me.' He addressed his cohorts, still calm, saying, 'Are you ready? OK,' Jefferson said. She did not complete the phrase that Lisa Beamer relayed in an earlier interview with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in which she quoted her husband using a family catch phrase: 'Are you guys ready? Let's roll!'
'That's the last I heard from Todd Beamer,' Jefferson said. 'The line was still open, but it was silent.'"
Links to "Let's roll":
celebrates 227th birthday Oct.13
Vanguard's new line of coins
USAFE rolls with new nose art
"Let's roll" - Todd Beamers last words: bumper stickers
Photos from Shanksville
Source of the photos: Pittsburghchannel
Shanksville photographs: Statement from Tim Shaffer (Photojournalist)
Links of the Pittsburghchannel
1) Terry Butler, at Stoystown: He sees the plane come out of the clouds, low to the ground. "It was moving like you wouldn't believe. Next thing I knew it makes a heck of a sharp, right-hand turn." It banks to the right and appears to be trying to climb to clear one of the ridges, but it continues to turn to the right and then veers behind a ridge. About a second later it crashes. [St. Petersburg Times, 9/12/01]
2) Ernie Stuhl, the mayor of Shanksville: "I know of two people -- I will not mention names -- that heard a missile. They both live very close, within a couple of hundred yards... This one fellow's served in Vietnam and he says he's heard them, and he heard one that day." He adds that based on what he has learned, F-16s were "very, very close." [Philadelphia Daily News, 11/15/01]
of the plane making strange noises:
4) Charles Sturtz, a half mile from the crash site: The plane is heading southeast and has its engines running. No smoke can be seen. "It was really roaring, you know. Like it was trying to go someplace, I guess." [WPXI Channel 11, 9/13/01]
5) Michael Merringer, two miles from the crash site: "I heard the engine gun two different times and then I heard a loud bang..." [AP, 9/12/01]
6) Tim Lensbouer, 300 yards away: "I heard it for 10 or 15 seconds and it sounded like it was going full bore." [Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 9/12/01]
of the plane flying upside down:
8) Eric Peterson of Lambertsville: He sees a plane flying overhead unusually low. The plane seemed to be turning end-over-end as it dropped out of sight behind a tree line. [Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 9/12/01]
9) Bob Blair of Stoystown: He sees the plane spiraling and flying upside down before crashing. Its not much higher than the treetops. [Daily American, 9/12/01]
of a sudden plunge and more strange sounds:
11) Another unnamed witness sees the plane overhead. It makes a high-pitched, screeching sound. The plane then makes a sharp, 90-degree downward turn and crashes. [Cleveland Newschannel 5, 9/11/01]
12) Tom Fritz, about a quarter-mile from the crash site: He hears a sound that "wasn't quite right" and looks up in the sky. "It dropped all of a sudden, like a stone," going "so fast that you couldn't even make out what color it was." [St. Petersburg Times, 9/12/01]
13) Terry Butler, a few miles north of Lambertsville: "It dropped out of the clouds." The plane rose slightly, trying to gain altitude, then "it just went flip to the right and then straight down." [Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 9/12/01]
14) Lee Purbaugh, 300 yards away: "There was an incredibly loud rumbling sound and there it was, right there, right above my head – maybe 50 feet up.... I saw it rock from side to side then, suddenly, it dipped and dived, nose first, with a huge explosion, into the ground. I knew immediately that no one could possibly have survived." [Independent, 8/13/02]
down and a sudden plunge:
16) Kelly Leverknight in Stony Creek Township of Shanksville: "There was no smoke, it just went straight down. I saw the belly of the plane." It sounds like it is flying low, and it's heading east. [Daily American, 9/12/01, St. Petersburg Times, 9/12/01]
17) Tim Thornsberg, working in a nearby strip mine: "It came in low over the trees and started wobbling. Then it just rolled over and was flying upside down for a few seconds ... and then it kind of stalled and did a nose dive over the trees." [WPXI Channel 11, 9/13/01]
of the United Airlines flight 93
CNN- United Airlines Flight 93
More informations in the german part of this side!
| The 9/11 | Chronikles
| Collaps of WTC | Essay
| Religios Illusion | Osama
Bin Laden | World Trade Center
| Pentagon | Shanksville
[ Crash at WTC-2 | Collaps of WTC-2 | Collaps of WTC-1 | Collaps of WTC-7 | Eyewitness at Pentagon ]
[ Pictures of Disaster | Pictures of New York | Awards | Links | Guestbook ]